Making the Switch – how and why and how’s it going?
The new iPhone 5S and 5C officially went on sale ~ 2 weeks ago at Apple retailers around the country. Significant upgrades include a fingerprint sensor, faster processor, and keeping up with the Joneses. Oh and you can get it in Gold.
Those reasons are not doing it for me. I don’t want anything gold. I want grey. Space grey.
Using an iPhone limits you to one place. You can enjoy many different Apple-controlled and approved apps, animations and menu configurations. But I started to wish I wasn’t trapped in a hovering prison in the men’s bathroom – but no phone is perfect (thanks NightVale for the metaphor).
The kool-aid started to wear off for me with the iPhone when they mucked up the apple maps launch, and I couldn’t easily return to the prior Apple Maps. I realized their vision for the phone and mine might one day not be so aligned. In fact, I had a jailbroken phone, so realized my vision had changed some time ago.
So I took the plunge and picked up the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active, for the same in contract upgrade price of a 16gb 5s.
I also did a few tests that I came up with on the spot:
- Time to install nes, snes and genesis emulators and roms that give access to all the systems and games I had in my childhood: ~ 20 minutes.
- Time to allow any app source on my phone: 30 seconds
- Not reading any instructions, was I able to setup the phone (password, wifi, email, upgrades, app installs)? Yes
- Browse and have full control over filesystem? Yes, with additional app
- Able to take pictures, listen to music, download the apps I could think of off the top of my head that I was used to on my 3gs? Yes
Dislikes:
- too many installed apps on default – AT&T and Samsung loaded me up with their proprietory apps that do the same thing as other best in class apps from other developers. Google also placed their apps on the phone which duplicate other installed apps (i.e. installed by default are Internet and Chrome, Email and Gmail)
- By default, too many notifications in the top bar. haven’t taken the time to change or customize app notifications.
- Potential for Google using my data and history if I breeze through “Accept” screens upon installing / upgrading apps. Apple users, as we have seen, are not safe from corporate snooping either.
- Did not come with headphones. Luckily I had my old ones.
Likes:
- absolute control. completely customizable
- expandable micro sd slot leads to unlimited storage capacity
- non proprietary cable connection (I was really dreading getting the new iphone 5 style cables)
- bigger screen
- 3 action buttons (home, menu and previous) as opposed to the all powerful Home button
- process manager (see how much memory my apps are using, fine tuned process control)
- submersible in up to 3 feet of water (I got the Galaxy Active)
- 4G LTE (available iPhone 5s as well). In fact, I imagine the speed, image, camera and sound quality are all about the same in the S4 and the iPhone 5s, unless you are a professional benchmarker.
- Did not have to wait 21-28 days for Apple to restock the iPhone.
Mediocre feelings:
- A pre installed google eco system over a pre installed apple eco system? I realized I used many default google apps as is, so the only thing I miss are apps that Apple had and are not available any where else. Those apps are non existent. In the early days of Android, yes that was a selling point, but not anymore.
- Worry somewhat about virus protection. Shouldn’t be a problem for a certified nerd like myself.
- Am no longer Apple’s bitch. Out with the old boss in with the new.
“Remember, if you see something, say nothing. And drink to forget.”
Thanks again Nightvale, for your accurate interpretation of a future confined within Apple.
Disclaimer: I went from an iphone 3gs to a Samsung 4S, which by any means is a significant upgrade, but my peers have used 4′s and 5′s for some time, so I have a pretty good idea of the differences.
Interested in a more rugged phone? Check out this comparison of the Samsung Galaxy S4 active and Sony Xperia ZR, where I stole an image from
Source:
http://sharkswithlazers.net/switching-from-iphone-to-android-and-other-major-life-events/